Friday, January 18, 2008

bad weather calls for good soup

Here around DC we have a strict code of conduct largely influenced by the meteorological phenomena occurring outside our neoclassical windows. For example, when it snows here...well, I've gotten ahead of myself already.

Yesterday we had our first "wintry mix" of 2008! "Wintry mix" is a magical euphemism for a whole lot of crappy precipitation. (After carefully Googling the term, I have confirmed my suspicion that the wintery mix is a nearly exclusive mid-Atlantic meteorological phenomenon, and therefore I am clarifying.) It may include, but is not limited to, snow, sleet, freezing rain, and graupel.

In other words, "wintry mix" is totally unpredictable and we, as a city full of important people, have no option but to go nuts and buy all of the milk, bread, toilet paper and water we can find.

Personally, I believe that this shopping list leaves out many of the essentials for surviving bad weather. On days like that, when you step in 500 Slurpee puddles on the way home, the only thing to do is to eat a huge bowl of tomato soup and a grilled cheese sandwich.

I have my own little strategy for avoiding the all-too-common predicament of finding yourself sitting down to a sugary-tasting bowl of Campbells. USE BUTTERMILK. This miraculous liquid, of which I simply cannot sing enough praises, produces the greatest, richest, tangiest tasting bowl of soup you can imagine. Especially if you add a can of diced tomatoes (opt for no salt added!).

And those, by the way, are my home-made cotton knit pants. I wish that I had made them a little less low-waisted, but as one friend pointed out they ARE perfect for practicing Carmen Electra's Aerobic Striptease. Is that a complement?

No comments: