Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Is this how Greenland feels?


Have you ever had that moment? You are folding your clean laundry, grab a pair of pants, and suddenly realize the exact size of your ass when compressed to two dimensions? It's a lot like looking at Greenland on a world map. You know that what you are looking at is not really how things work in 3-d, but you can't get the image out of your head, either.

Lately I have been working on these knee socks, and I'm pretty excited about them. I've been working with the sock tutorial on HJS Studio and things are going great.

Everything except this:

That is the calf of my sock.

I have long known that my calves are larger than the average girl's. After years of failing to find knee socks that fit, returning stockings that I couldn't even pull up, and wincing at the thought of enduring another zip-up boot, I'm over it. I have big calves. Big, athletic, muscular calves. My only regret is that I don't excel in any sport, so their presence can be difficult to explain, especially when they are commented on by strangers (and, good grief, strangers do comment on them).

But something about this custom-fit sock has had me baffled for almost a week now. I can't take my eyes off it. I can't quit trying it on and staring at my own leg in slack-jawed wonder. I have some seriously big, muscular calves! ...Should I be wearing horizontal stripes?

1 comment:

juju said...

my, that is impressive!