Sunday, March 22, 2009

grad school visit: Michigan



On Friday I went to Michigan's Landscape Architecture department open house. The department is in the School of Natural Resources (as opposed to in the design school), which I see as both a major strength and weakness. It is probably the most technical, ecologically-minded program that I am looking at (good), but also the least Design-minded program (bad). So, now I am trying to figure out what I am supposed to learn in grad school, and whether it even matters, since I will graduate with an MLA and wind up in an entry-level job regardless.

I am also realizing that no matter where I go, I will just have to be self-motivated to accomplish what I want to. Still, I would rather not feel like I am beating my head against a wall every day, and I worry that no one would back me up if I said that I think that good landscape architecture looks like this:



and this:



and this:



because they are too busy being good stewards of the earth.

No comments: