Monday, March 9, 2009

mess of mezze

I still have not mastered the art of preparing food that looks lovely and appetizing. Or of taking a picture of food that makes it look lovely and appetizing. Or of remembering to take said picture before eating half of my dinner. But . . .



Here we have proof positive that yesterday, with the assistance of my very patient sous chef, I prepared a Mediterranean feast of epic proportions (at least for me). There was hummus! And falafel, which mostly did not fall apart in the frying pan! And pita bread, which actually just turned out like tiny pizza crusts! And couscous (unpictured). Sure, the meal consisted of nothing but carbohydrates...I finally made falafel that worked!

-falafel recipe

-pita recipe

-hummus recipe (based on Cooks Illustrated):
juice of one lemon
1/4 c water
6 tbsp tahini
1 can chickpeas
garlic, salt, and spices to taste (I like a teaspoon or two of Garam Masala)

Process chickpeas and spices until almost fully ground.
Comine water and lemon juice in measuring cup. Add to running food processor. Let it run for a minute. Give your finger a break from the pulse button and combine tahini and olive oil in measuring cup. Add to running food processor. Let it run for half a minute.

1 comment:

joy said...

oooo goood job!