Friday, June 12, 2009

container garden update

I should be washing my face, packing my lunch, and heading off to work... but how about a container garden update instead. Shall we?



Here is a shot of the whole gang: I have four cherry tomato plants, two pots of basil, one pot of oregano, one pot of thyme, and that long thing is full of parsley. Not bad for about six weeks. I am pumped for those tomatoes to ripen up.



Unfortunately in my typical lazy fashion I did not support my tomato vines, and one of them has almost totally broken. Repeatedly. I think I made it worse this morning. But, I figure that these guys are tough -- or I can eat some fried green cherry tomatoes and move on with my life.



All four of the plants have fruit on them now, which is an exciting development! They also all have aphids (those little white dudes you see in the picture), so I will have to invest in a few pots of marigolds and see if I can drive them out. It would be nice to have some flowers.



And, in closing, here is a completely gratuitous close-up of thyme. I have this new thyme obsession, so I am glad to see that it is doing well. Thyme and tomato plant are probably two of my favorite smells. Sometimes I just stand out there and sniff to my heart's content. It is really good. And it makes up for the lousy view of ugly Courthouse architecture. Sometimes I imagine what it was like when this building was new, and none of the tall buildings in Courthouse had gone up. But that is a post for another day.

No comments: