Wednesday, August 12, 2009

new garden

Well, I know that the entire internet has been sitting on the edge of its collective seat ever since I mentioned the potential for an actual in-ground garden here. Without further ado, here it is!

DSC05821

When I got here, my little patch of dirt was packed to the gills with a delightful mix of pokeweed, and poison ivy (but I'm holding out hope that at least some of it could be virginia creeper).

DSC05822

So far, I have managed to clear out that mess, and generally clean up:

DSC05823

As far as the container garden, the cherry tomato plants looked like they just couldn't handle another car trip, so I left them with my parents. (The purple cherokees I gave them were just kicking into gear when I left...I am tempted to go back this weekend just to pick up some tomatoes.) The herbs did made it here, minus one pot of basil (a gift to my mom, to go with her tomatoes).

So, what will become of this charming plot of dirt? I put in some seeds for collard greens, beets, and "giant pumpkins", so hopefully I will have a nice, unruly fall garden. I probably should have conditioned the soil, but the weeds seemed to be doing so well that I decided to take my chances for now. Unfortunately there isn't a spigot outside, so unless we have a rainy fall watering the garden might get old fast. Still, I'd like to think it's a little nicer and a little less poisonous out there now.

No comments: