Friday, August 28, 2009

twilight

I am not proud of it, but one major project I undertook this summer was the Twilight series. Since I have the same interests as most preteens (and geriatrics, I'm very conflicted) and I went through an interesting period in high school marked by an acute interest in vampires, dragons, black eyeliner, and questionable red and black clothing ensembles, this series seemed like a natural fit for me.

So, when I saw the first movie last spring, I as simultaneously bored, shocked and appalled - and not just by the abstinence. I had heard that the books and movie revolved around a pretty basic damsel in distress, but I found this much worse. Basically, Bella's boyfriend repeatedly warns her that at any point in time he may violently attack and kill her - but she calmly reassures him that it will be fine because they are in love.

Wow.

My first thought was that, since the books are so popular, this theme must just be part of the movie and not the book. I read the rest of the books this summer, and unfortunately it only gets worse from there. I kept reading because it seemed unfathomable to me that there would never be a turning point where Bella asserts herself, realizes that she is in an unhealthy relationship, and sets things straight. It never comes.

I wanted to write a long analysis of the horrors of these books, but there is just too much to get into. I am amazed that I haven't seen more about these on the feminist blogs I read, but maybe we are all in the same boat. Here are my Goodreads reviews instead:

New Moon (Twilight, #2) New Moon by Stephenie Meyer



I wanted to know if the books are as disturbing as the movie. They are. When Bella's boyfriend dumps her, she takes up dirt biking expressly to injure herself. This is just the positive message teenagers need.

View all my reviews >>


Eclipse (Twilight, #3) Eclipse by Stephenie Meyer



Could book three possibly get worse than book two? Yes. Bella allows the men in her life (Edward, Charlie, and Jacob) to control her. Edward takes apart her truck to prevent her driving to see Jacob. Jacob jokes that Edward's controlling behavior is an indicator of an abusive boyfriend. Unfortunately the conclusion put forth by the author is that Edward's controlling behavior is a sign of his love. Wow.

View all my reviews >>


Breaking Dawn (Twilight, #4) Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer



The piece de resistance of the Twilight series. Bella marries Edward. She enjoys the sex but wakes up covered in bruises. Don't worry girls, that is a normal part of every relationship and is just your partner's way of showing his love. Soon, she becomes pregnant with Edward's mutant vampire spawn. It is clear from the get-go that this mutant vampire spawn could kill Bella, but luckily the fetus has psychic powers so she does not pursue abortion.

Frankly I am confounded by the fact that this is a mainstream, popular series of books.

View all my reviews >>

No comments: